HURRICANE IRENE INFO: Shelters, etc.
- Gov. McDonnell has authorized local officials to issue mandatory evacuation orders if they decide it's necessary. If you live in a low-lying or flood-prone area, be prepared to evacuate.
- The Virginia National Guard is being mobilized for activation as needed.
- Mandatory evacuation in Sandbridge, with roads closed at 8 a.m. Saturday.
- Va Beach shelters are at Landstown High School, Salem High School, Cox High School and Birdneck Elementary School. Virginia Beach parking garages will be open at the Oceanfront free through the weekend.
- In Norfolk, mandatory evacuations of Zone 1 areas by Saturday.
- Norfolk’s shelters are at Granby High School, Norview High School, Lake Taylor Middle School, Maury High School, Campostella Elementary School and the East Ocean View Senior Center. Residents of Norfolk can park in the downtown garages for free over the weekend.
- Portsmouth will announce its shelter locations later today.
- Chesapeake’s shelters are at Oscar Smith High School, Hickory Middle School, Western Branch High School and Thurgood Marshall Elementary School.
- Suffolk’s shelters are at Nansemond River High School, Lakeland High School and Kings Fork High School.
- Hampton is opening a shelter at 7 p.m. at Bethel High School. Additional shelters will be opened if needed.
- The Newport News City Emergency Operations Center will open at 7:00 pm tonight. Shelter locations will be announced later today.
- Gloucester will open a shelter at Peasley Middle School at 10 a.m. Saturday.
- Evacuation routes are Interstate 64 West, Routes 58 and 460 in western Hampton Roads, Routes 17 and 60 on the Peninsula, and Route 13 on the Eastern Shore.
- Northbound tolls on the Chesapeake Expressway have been lifted.
- The area’s tunnels will be closed when high water or damaging winds are imminent.
- Ferry service at the Jamestown-Scotland Ferry will be suspended at noon today.
- At the Norfolk and Newport News Airports, decisions about canceling flights are up to the airlines, but expect delays or cancellations.
- Amtrak train service along the east coast south of Washington is cancelled.
- Army officials will evacuate Fort Monroe by 6 p.m. tonight.
- Joint Base Langley will close Saturday at noon. Only the LaSalle gate will be open.