PET SHELTER INFORMATION:
- There is a pet shelter located at River Crest Community Center at 1001 River Walk Parkway in Chesapeake. Owners will be housed at Oscar Smith High School.
- Virginia Beach SPCA: As it stands, the Virginia Beach SPCA is here and ready to accept animals of First Responders and people that are under a mandatory evacuation and staying at a local Red Cross Shelter. They will begin accepting animals on Saturday.
- In an effort to assist the many first responders in the City of Norfolk, the Norfolk Animal Care Center and the Norfolk SPCA will accept pets from those first responders who are without other sheltering options. Because space and resources are limited at both facilities, we ask that personnel in need of sheltering services call ahead to make prior arrangements with the shelter. Please consider the shelter a last resort.
- The Norfolk Animal Care Center is located at 5585 Sabre Road. Contact the shelter at 441-5505.
- The Norfolk SPCA is locate at 916 Ballentine Blvd. and can be contacted at 622-3319.
- Pets left in the care of either shelter must be picked up by 5:00pm on Sunday, August 28th.
**All animals brought to either shelter must have:
1. identification tags
2. any required medication
4. carrier or crate
5. leashes for dogs
6. vaccine records—animals must be current on rabies vaccine and distemper vaccines (cats and dogs)
7. cat litter for cats
8. blankets, toys, treats should also accompany the pet
*Aggressive animals cannot be accommodated at either facility
If you leave your pets at home, please confine them to an interior room. Leave enough food and water for several days. Be sure they are wearing identification with your contact information. NEVER leave animals chained or penned outside as they cannot escape rising waters. Please do not leave your pets in hot vehicles.