So today when I went grocery shopping, things went down a little differently. Most of what I bought was fruits, veggies, and more fruits and veggies. I'm starting to incorporate more fruits and vegetables in my diet and have been reading lots of blogs with fancy recipies so I went on a splurge.
I've had pretty much everything in this picture except for two things: Chocolate Soymilk and Coconut Oil.. and now I cannot get enough of either.
As far as the Chocolate Soymilk. IT TASTE JUST LIKE NESQUICK! AND ITS GOOD FOR YOU! I've alone drank half a gallon (thats not so healthy) but its my new favorite thing.
But onto the more important and educational reason for this blog: Coconut Oil.
I always see on Facebook my friends who work out a lot and eat all fancy use coconut oil. I mean, I put that stuff in my hair so I never thought of putting it on my food but after a little googling I cant believe all the uses for it!
As I posted this picture on Instagram, I began to get likes, messages, and comments.
(yes I like my own photos, I like myself a lot)
But my sister-in-law messages me this website that tells you ALL these other things you can use it for.
My post even went viral on Facebook, everyone was like "oh its the best, I feed it to my dogs, I make a mask of it, I use it for gas" yadda yadda yadda
So I took it upon myself to go to this website, healthimpactnews.com and was in awe of how many things you could do with this stuff. Im suprised you reall cant fuel your car with it.
80 Uses for Coconut Oil
1. Moisturizer – simply scoop some out of the jar and apply all over your body, including neck and face.
2. Eye cream – apply under the eyes to reduce puffiness, bags, and wrinkles. Use on the lids in the evening.
3. Preshave – coconut oil will prep skin for the pending damage caused by shaving.
4. Aftershave – coconut oil will help heal your skin after shaving without clogging pores.
5. Deodorant – coconut oil alone can be used as a deodorant, but even more effective in combination with cornstarch/arrowroot powder and baking soda!
6. Hair Conditioner/Deep Treatment – use as a leave in hair conditioner by applying a teaspoon of coconut oil to your ends and then running your fingers through your hair to distribute the rest! For a deeper treatment, rub in a tablespoon of coconut oil onto your dry scalp and gently work through to the ends. Put a shower cap on to prevent transfer onto bed linens and leave on overnight.
7. Hair Gel/Defrizzer – rub a little between your palms and either scrunch into hair (for curly hair) or finger comb in through from scalp to ends (for wavy/straight hair).
8. Toothpaste – there are numerous recipes out there but I just mix coconut oil and baking soda and dab a little of the mix on my toothbrush.
9. Make up remover – use a cotton swab and a dab of coconut oil and you would be amazed at how well it works!
10. Chapstick – just rub a little into lips and it not only acts as a softening agent but it also has an SPF of about 4 so you get a little protection!
11. Massage Oil – pretty simple; grab some and rub!
12. Lubricant – it is an all natural, perfectly safe personal lubricant. Not compatible with latex!
13. Sunscreen – see my post on natural sunscreen for more detailed information.
14. Stretch Mark Cream – coconut oil is great at nourishing damaged skin. It may not be the magic stretch mark cure but it will help.
15. Nipple Cream – works great to nourish cracked, sore, or dry nipples. Apply to a cotton ball and leave on your nipples between feedings.
16. Diaper salve – very comforting on a rashy bum with no harsh chemicals. Also safe for cloth diapers.
17. Cradle cap – having issues with dry skin on your baby’s scalp? Coconut oil will not only nourish your baby’s skin, it also helps eliminate cradle cap. Just rub a teaspoon onto scalp daily.
18. Body scrub – mix coconut oil and sugar together and rub all over! Rinse off and your skin will be super soft! You can add in essential oils if you would like a specific smell.
19. Healing – when applied on scrapes and cuts, coconut oil forms a thin, chemical layer which protects the wound from outside dust, bacteria and virus. Coconut oil speeds up the healing process of bruises by repairing damaged tissues. Plus, it smells a heck-of-a-lot better than anything from the pharmacy.
20. Bug Bites – when applied directly to a bug bite, coconut oil can stop the itching and burning sensation as well as hasten the healing process.
21. Skin problems – coconut oil relieves skin problems such as psoriasis, dermatitis, and eczema.
22. Swimmers Ear – mix garlic oil and coconut oil and put a few drops in affected ear for about 10 minutes. Do this 2-3 times a day and it usually works within one or two days.
General Health and Wellness
23. Stress Relief – relieve mental fatigue by applying coconut oil to the head in a circular, massaging motion. The natural aroma of coconuts is extremely soothing thus helping to lower your stress level.
24. Digestion – the saturated fats in coconut oil have anti-bacterial properties that help control, parasites, and fungi that cause indigestion and other digestion related problems such as irritable bowel syndrome. The fat in coconut oil also aids in the absorption of vitamins, minerals and amino acids, making you healthier all around.
25. Fitness – coconut oil has been proven to stimulate your metabolism, improve thyroid function, and escalate energy levels, all of which help decrease your unwanted fat, while increasing muscle.
26. Nose bleeds – coconut oil can prevent nose bleeding that is caused by sensitivity to weather such as extreme hotness and extreme coldness. This condition happens when the nasal passages become dry because of cold or dry air resulting to burns and cracks in the mucus membranes so bleeding happens. To prevent this just put coconut oil in you nostrils. Coat your finger with coconut oil and then lie down and coat your finger inside your nose. Doing this will strengthen and protect the capillaries in the nasal passages. A Vitamin C supplement will also help prevent nose bleeding.
27. For breastfeeding moms, consuming 3 ½ tablespoons of coconut oil daily will enrich your milk supply.
28. Helps with weight loss & controlling cravings.
29. Helps keep blood sugar levels stable and/or helps with cravings in those with diabetes.
Health Problems (that coconut oil is known for aiding, relieving, or even curing when taken internally)
30. Eczema – in addition to taking it internally, many have success applying it externally, some don’t
31. Skin problems
32. Toenail fungus
33. Hot flashes
34. Bleeding hemorrhoids (can also be applied externally twice a day)
36. Head lice
37. Improvements in menstruation regarding pain/cramps and heavy blood flow
38. Migraines (with regular use)
42. Relieve gallbladder pain
43. Has helped some people improve symptoms of an underactive thyroid gland, results have shown subsequent thyroid blood tests becoming normal
44. Energy boost
45. Flaky, dry skin
46. May relieve acid reflux and indigestion when taken with each meal
47. Adrenal fatigue
49. H. pylori
50. Candida albicans
51. Asthma, even in children
53. Cholesterol – improves HDL (‘good’ cholesterol) to HDL (‘bad’ cholesterol) ratio in people with high cholesterol
54. Chronic fatigue
55. Circulation/feeling cold all the time
56. Stronger immune system
57. Mental Clarity
59. Helps with inflammation in Crohns
Health Problems (that coconut oil is known for aiding, relieving, or even curing when applied topically)
60. Athletes foot
61. Back pain/sore muscles
62. Canker sores
65. Herpes (applied topically and taken internally)
66. Genital warts (through topical application over 6 weeks, and coconut oil enemas twice a day depending on the location of the warts)
67. Circumcision healing – although I am personally against circumcision, I have read that coconut oil is a really great healer for this.
68. Use 1 cup to 1 cup ratio when replacing other oils/butter in recipes with coconut oil.
69. Replacement for butter/lard/Crisco/PAM in it’s solid form – greasing pans, pie crusts, etc.
70. Replacement for various oils in liquid form – baking, cooking, sautéing, etc.
71. Nutritional supplement – melt and add to smoothies.
72. Insect repellent – mix coconut oil with peppermint oil extract and rub it all over exposed skin. Keeps insects off better than anything with Deet! Tons safer too.
73. Great for dogs and cats for general wellness. Just add a teaspoon to their water bowl daily.
74. Goo Gone – just mix equal parts coconut oil and baking soda into a paste. Apply to the “sticky” area and let it set for a minute. Then scrub off with an old toothbrush or the scrubby side of a sponge.
75. Chewing Gum in Hair Remover – just rub some coconut oil over the stuck chewing gum, leave in for about 30 minutes, then roll the gum between your fingertip. Voila! It’s out!
76. Polish Furniture – coconut oil with a little bit of lemon juice to polish wood furniture. However, I recommend you test it first on a very small, unobtrusive part of your furniture to make sure it works the way you’d like.
77. Polishing Bronze – all you have to do is rub a little oil into a cotton towel and then wipe down the statue. It cleans and helps deepen the color of your bronze.
78. Seasoning animal hide drums
79. Seasoning cookware
80. Moisturizing and cleaning leather products
?Chuck and WooWoo, Can jealousy be fixed? Im gonna get right to it with yall cause I dont know what to do. Ive been dating my BF for 9 months. We dont live together but when we get off work & on the weekends...we stay at each others apartments. He is become very controlling and paranoid lately. And needs to know where I am when I am not with him. For example - if I say I am going to the gym for an hour...and I am not back in 1 hour...he will FREAK out. Calling Texting and just really jealous. Wants to know who I saw at the gym Who did I talk to etc. He was not like this in the beginning of our relationship. Its strange. And I really like him when we are together - but when I am out of his sight with girlfriends he turns into somebody totally different. I think he is very insecure and jealous...so do I deal with it? Talk to him? Or just jump ship now before we hit the 1 year mark. THANKS!?
The HollyWooWoo Report Thursday, January 31st, 2013
Lindsay Lohan appears in court, judge announces retirement
I knew you were trouble when you walked in...Lindsay Lohan briefly appeared in court yesterday with her NEW attorney! Judge Stephanie Sautner shook her head when she saw LiLio...because Linds planned on being a "NO SHOW" claiming she had the flu. HA! Her new trial date is set March 18th - and it could result in jail. This is all due to the car accident last summer on the PCH in Malibu when LiLo LIED to LAPD. A big NO NO probation violation.
Lindsay Lohan has new brother
While she was in the courtroom - her dad was in the delivery room. YEP! Lindsay Lohan has a new half-brother. Michael Lohan's ON/OFF girlfriend Kate Major gave birth to a son...Landon Major Lohan. Mazel Tov!
End of '30 Rock' after 7 years
This makes me sad because I looove Tina Fey!!!! Ugh. '30 Rock' ends its 7-year run tonight at 8 p.m. with a one-hour special. Tina Fey's Liz Lemon is a stay-at-home wife and mother, having left her now-canceled late-night show, ‘TGS With Tracy Jordan’. The show also starred Alec Baldwin, Jack McBrayer and Jane Krakowski. So sad. What a great show! Tina Fey is brilliant.
Rihanna confirms Chris Brown reconciliation
File this under...WHAT THE HELL!!!!! Rihanna confirmed to 'Rolling Stone' Magazine she has reconciled with Chris Brown. WHY!!!!! Where is her mother to tell her NO. She insisted she doesn't think Brown will physically hurt her again. Wait and see sister...she said, “He made a mistake, and he's paid his dues. I decided it was more important for me to be happy."
Bev Hills Hotel to cover repairs to Justin Bieber’s Ferrari
Justin Bieber's Ferrari is currently in a repair shop. His friend Lil Twist damaged it on a New Year’s Day drive in Beverly Hills. Wait...his name is LIL TWIST?! Lord. Well....The Four Seasons Hotel will pay the $10,000 repair bill to maintain its lucrative relationship with Justin. A rep for the Four Seasons had no comment.
Justin Timberlake to perform at Grammys
My boy JT...AKA Justin Timberlake...will be rocking that suit and tie at the Grammy Awards Feb. 10. He returned to music earlier this month when he released the single, Suit & Tie, which features Jay-Z. His third solo album, The 20/20 Experience, will be released March 19.
John Mayer Still Worries Vocal Problems Will Return
Katy Perry's boyfriend John Mayer is singing again after a 6-month silence following a second operation on his throat. He returned to the stage January 16 at a benefit concert in his adopted Montana. He can sing, but admits he still worries about his voice. He is dating Katy Perry.
Oprah Winfrey Injured By Tyler Perry's Birthday Gift
This is funny....leave it to Oprah and her extravagant lifestyle!! So Oprah Winfrey spent her 59th birthday in bed Tuesday after straining her back. She was inundated with gifts, including a huge floral arrangement from Tyler Perry. She sprained her back leaning over to pick it up. He joked on Facebook: “Next year I'm sending her 1 rose."
GOOD MORNING! How about that wind & rain last night. Oh My Goodness. I thought somebody was trying to break into our house. HA! The wind was strong....60 MPH wind gusts in Downtown Norfolk. Incredible how we went from freezing cold temps & snow...to sunshine & rainbows...to wind & rain...and now temps going back down tonight. Weather is CR-CR-CR-CRAZY!!!
So I have been perusing TARGET lately for some Spring/Summer Fashion ideas. TARGET always has the BEST stuff. Always. Cheap little sundresses - afforable sandals & kick ass bikinis. Love me some Tar-Jay! Here are 2 pairs of shoes I have my eye on...
Aren't those cute? Love. I think I will hit up Target after work today. Aside from shopping. working, and being Maggie's Mommy...I have been hit by the running bug. HARD. I used to run Cross Country at Maury High School back in the day (COMMODORES!!! 2001!) ...and I have always enjoyed running. But you know what happens, right? LIFE GETS IN THE WAY! I was soo busy after Maggie was born. Trying to balance work & home - there was no TIME to run. And I was EXHAUSTED! Well something happened in the last 2 months and I have found myself running 12-14 miles a week. Incredible, right?! I am even impressed. HA! I did a 3.16 Mile run last night in 27 minutes and 45 seconds. I was jammin'...ran a 8:47 minute mile. HOLLA!!! I downloaded this App called 'RUNTASTIC' that tracks your run. It is really what keeps me moitvated. Well that & Lil Wayne. HA! I have to listen to LOUD party music when I run. It's a MUST.
I'm thinking Runners World Magazine might be calling me soon...A girl can dream!
Have a WONDERFUL Thursday!
PS: My new favorite wine...cheap & delicious...go to TOTAL WINE ASAP and pick up a bottle. It's like $12 dollars. And at 4PM today...I will crack open a bottle. I am having a couple friends over with the kids for a "PlayDate"! YAY! Goldfish & Wine. Perfect combo. HOLLA!
This littly piggy was given to me from my mother at christmas.
It tells me what the weather will be like.
Its name is solar pig, and when the sun comes out it flaps its wings! Its pretty loud too, its in the hallway leading into my bedroom and every morning when I wake up I listen for it. (My room is a cave of total darkness so I listen for Solar Pig)
I decided to make a video to show you how AWESOME this little oinker is.
OKAY. So i'm going to get on my soap box and discuss the hair topic.
About 5 months ago I dyed my hair black; FROM THE BOX (I know horrible idea). And since then I’ve been seeing all these pictures on Pinterest and Instagram of this new “Ombre” craze. I just stay up at night and look at these photos and im like I really want to try something new, refreshing, something different!
I went in to this Salon called Sassys Salon and Spa in Chesapeake and said “I want ombre, I want bright blonde in my hair” and I was told it was going to be a process, UNLESS I wanted them to bleach the heck outta my hair and send me out the door with brittle nasty strands. (NO THANK YOU.)
At first I was impatient about the idea of having to go back numerous times to get my hair to where I want it to be but boy am I happy I did!
Clay, THE BEST STYLIST EVER, is the man that has done wonders to my hair. My first appointment I left with some blonde in it and what not and this time I went back (6 weeks later) and he put the toner in and touched up my roots, AND did a deep conditioning treatment to my hair and I LOVE IT. I always have heard people talk about deep conditioning but never really thought it would make a difference, but it HAS! Its not as frizzy and my hair is crazy curly and it feels so smooth and silky.
They really hook you up at this place! I sat there just chit chatting away with an adult beverage in hand and he did his magic.
If you are looking to add some spice to your hair, or just get an overall new look GO TO SASSYS SALON in Chesapeake. I swear they will not let you down. I’ve always been picky about who touches my hair and what it will look like but they treat you so well there I will not go anywhere else.
As far as the look I’m going for I’m getting there, about 2 more appointments and I’ll have my beautiful blonde ombre! I never thought that it would take this long, nor did I think that it would be such a process but I guess it makes sense… I’d rather a stylist be honest with me and care for the overall health of my hair than send me out the door with nasty hay hair. You know? I left with FABULOUS hair and also a lot of knowledge about how I should be taking care of it; such as types of shampoos, conditionerse, and oils. (I use Morrocan Oil in my air after I style it now and it makes a huge difference)
(I have crazy curly hair and im always taking advice on how to tame it, and that deep conditioning REALLY helped)
If you want someone who will tell you how it is, go see Clay. I've never trusted anyone else EVER till I walked into Sassys and met him!
HERE IS PHASE ONE (dont mind my furry coat that I bought at target, ON SALE FOR $12!!)
"Chuck and WooWoo,
Please Please PLEASE DO NOT use my name or post my email.
I'm going to try to make this short. Basically - I'm sleeping with one of my friend's dads. I have known her since elementary school. Her parents have been divorced 10 years. I'm 33. He is 59. We ran into each other at a bar last summer. He is handsome. Gorgeous. Like an older better looking Daniel Craig. He does not look his age. But the age does not matter. While we aren't head over heels for each other & planning a wedding...we are special to each other. I see myself with him for a long time. His daughter - my friend - lives in Florida. How do we share our relationship with her? I am scared that I will not only lose a friend but a relationship with him too. So any advice you can give me would be really helpful. It is a tough situation. He wants to tell his daughter & doesn't want her to find out from gossip or Facebook, etc. He thinks we - as adults - should tell her. Thank YOU!!!!!"